what-is-toxic_clip_image002

WHAT IS TOXIC

Today’s modern convinces include many natural and manmade products to give us a higher standard of living.  When purchasing these products, there is a personal responsibility to pick and choose the product that combines proper safety and environmental protection for the usage needed.  Most people are not aware of the level of toxicity a product has when using it.  The general public also is not aware that the government has given us a standard code of toxicity on which each product is measured.  The level of toxicity must be put on the front of the label on any non food product produced.
The level of toxicity each product measures are found on the label of the product in the form of a SIGNAL WORD.  This SIGNAL WORD indicates how potentially dangerous this product is to humans and other animals.  Knowing the product’s level of toxicity can help you choose wisely and take the proper precautionary measures for handling and using the product.
The SIGNAL WORD must appear in large letters on the front panel of the label, immediately following the statement “Keep Out of the Reach of Children”, which also appears on all product labels.
These are the four levels of toxicity and the SIGNAL WORDS for each level.

DANGER      This word signals that the product is highly toxic.  A taste to a teaspoonful of the undiluted product, taken by mouth, could kill an average sized (175 lb.) adult.  Any product which is highly toxic, orally, dermal or through inhalation, or which causes severe eye and skin burning will be labeled  DANGER.

WARNING   This word signals that the product is moderately toxic.  As little as a teaspoon to an ounce of the undiluted product, taken by mouth, could kill an average sized (175 lb.) adult.  Any product which is moderately toxic orally, dermal or through inhalation, or causes moderate eye and skin irritation, will be labeled
WARNING.

CAUTION     This word signals that the product is slightly toxic.  An ounce to a pint of the undiluted product, taken by mouth, could kill an average sized (175 lb.) adult.  Any product which is slightly toxic orally, dermal, or through inhalation, or causes slight eye and skin irritation, will be labeled  CAUTION.

NO SIGNAL WORD           The absence of a signal word indicates that the product is almost non toxic, less than lightly toxic.  Much more than a pint of undiluted product, taken by mouth, would be needed to kill an average sized (175 lb.) adult.  This also indicates that the product has little or no toxicity to dermal or inhalation poisoning and does not have much or any eye or skin irritation.

Check your storage closets, and when you shop look at the labels for the toxic level, SIGNAL WORD, for products that meet your safety and needs.  Collier Pest Control uses the most effective materials available, in the caution level or less, when servicing your home or business.  We take your safety and our environment very seriously in choosing products that is why we offer our Enviro-Care Pest Control Service.  This service offers you complete pest control service without any open pesticide spraying.  Only natural products are placed in cracks and crevices to give you comfort and protection.

If you have concerns or questions on interpreting any product you may be using.  Call, 239-455-4300, Collier Pest Control today for a complete explanation on Signal Words or any of our service, or look us up on our web site at collierpestcontrol.com.  Don’t let unwanted guests spoil your beautiful Southwest Florida lifestyle.  Remember, Florida does not have to shared with insects